6.09.2008

The Newest Marathon of Fabio

The emotions of Passatore!
For my journey approaching the desert crossing, which will be accompanied by Carla, I did a little race Saturday, May 31, as preparation for the expedition. The ultra marathon of Passatore, called thus because it winds through mountains that span between the provinces of toscany and emiliano, near Florence and Faenza, which was frequented by popular bandits and the leader Passatore Cortese. This is a 100km race where physical strength and training are not enough, but it also takes a high tolerance for pain and mental strength.
I had planned to run 45-50 km of the race. So with friends early Saturday morning we departed for Florence.
At 3pm, with Mario, I started my adventure of Passatore, in which it is manditory to manage your energy expendature.
We ran easily for the first 28km which were hilly with slopes of about 500m, then we began the 1000m ascent toBorgo San Lorenzo which crossed Colla Casaglia. We were followed by a wonderful support team in a minibus who made a big difference and offered a lot of help.
It was great. I ran with agility, without fatigue and surprisingly without problems or physical barriers for 42km or 49kms I completed, thinking of my expedition in the desert. I knew that if I had finished the race at 75 or 80km I would have done more than I wanted for Passatore.
I know from experience that the body knows if it gives more of itself than it has, it is not in our interest and I was afraid to compromise my training for the desert. At 62km, in almost perfect condition I decided to stop. I was very happy because I did well. It was a wise choice to stop since a little while laterMario unfortunately had a problem and was forced to withdraw from the race. Also Aido, the 3rd athlete we ran with pushed through indiscribable amounts of pain to finish the race. In the kilometers I ran, I saw many athletes going through a lot of pain that persisted unjustified. Yes, the there is great fatigue in athletic expeditions, but to make it worse just so you finish the 100km is not a sport.
I am happy to have done the standard corse very well. For now I have resumed my training, which is going very well, for my expedition in the desert with the amazing Carla. We have been working towards this dream for almost a year and now I also have the marvelous memories of Passatore.

1 comment:

Carla Perrotti said...

That is a great accomplishment!!!