7.08.2009

The inaccessible Taklimakan


The sad new of the journals which report the bloody revolts of the Uyguri population in China, makes the mythic Taklimakan desert, which I had the privilege to be the only human able cross on alone foot in 1998, seem even more distant and inaccessible.
I remember it even today with great emotion: to know what it is like to live and walk in its sand in solitude for 24 days is unforgettable, as it is one of the worlds most fascinating places. The beauty of the Taklimakan is something absolutely unique that you carry inside of you always: impossible to compare to other deserts. I have a great desire to return with Desert Therapy, different people have asked me to have this experience together, but now it is not possible. The fact is that Urumqi has now made the Xing Yang zone inaccessible. It is not enough to remember the splendid images of the crossing and the golden sand I save jealously in a glass together with those from all the other deserts. I hope that human reason takes the upper hand to violence.

No comments: