4.28.2010

The desert teaches: Balance



The search for balance was essential for me to accomplish my challenges in the desert. The ability to confront myself, to overcome the difficulties in the environment, to adapt to situations of human endurance without getting caught in despair, knowing how to evaluate each unexpected event with detachment and rationality, these are the moments that, more than anything else, come to mind when I think of the long days of loneliness and fatigue. The desert taught me to be comfortable with myself and with what surrounds me, to see people for what they are really worth and not for how they try to appear, not getting involved emotionally. It is very difficult to find the right balance, but it helps you overcome barriers you didn’t think possible. Often life puts us infront of complicated situations, in which one feels they are bumping into impassable walls. I learned that trying to knock them down is wrong: it consumes too much energy and you loose the clarity needed to get the situation under control. It is better to evaluate other possibilities with serenity and learn to manage your emotions, if you want to be comfortable with yourself and others: in the desert and in life.

No comments: