4.08.2010

The desert teaches: to manage suffering



Since I started to cross deserts, I have learned that it is the mind more than the body that overcomes great difficulties. During my challenges I suffered a lot: suffering is part of life, also in everyday life we often encounter pain, sometimes physical and sometimes psychological. Every joy, success, achievement carries a heavy load, often at the limit of our capacity, a price that must be paid carefully and with awareness. Athletics have taught me a lot, helped me to form character, but above all the desert was a great teacher for me. Often when I find myself in front of a situation that is hard to control, my thoughts return there, amid the sand and the memories of hard times that I managed to overcome, and it gives me the strength to go on. I learned to numb my mind, to control my negative thoughts and to retain only excitement, moments of joy, that I keep in a magic box of memories and at the right moment I use to try and find new energy: to continue walking in that mysterious desert that is life.

No comments: